Charles Brenner, PhD
Roy J. Carver Chair of Biochemistry and Professor of Internal Medicine
Founding Co-Director of the University of Iowa Obesity Research and Education Initiative
Carver College of Medicine
University of Iowa
51 Newton Road
4-403 Bowen Science Building (BSB)
Iowa City, IA 52242
Office Phone: (319) 335-7934
Lab Phone: (319) 384-4099
- Wesleyan University (1979-1983)
Middletown, CT 06457
B.A. with Honors in Biology
- Stanford University School of Medicine (1988-1993)
Stanford, CA 94305
Ph.D. in Cancer Biology
Thesis: "Specificity and Activity of the Kex2 Protease: From Yeast Genetics to Enzyme Kinetics"
Supervisor: Professor Robert S. Fuller
Department of Biochemistry
- Brandeis University (1993-1996)
Waltham, MA 02254
Supervisors: Professors Dagmar Ringe and Gregory A. Petsko
Departments of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Honors and Awards
- 1979-1980 Connecticut State Scholar
- 1979-1983 National Merit Scholar
- 1988-1992 Program in Cancer Biology trainee of the NCI
- 1993-1996 Fellow of the Leukemia Society of America
- 1994 Leukemia Society of America Short-Term Scientific Exchange Award
- 1997-present National Cancer Institute, CA075954, Functional and Structural Analysis of HIT Proteins/ Mechanism of Dnmtl Up-regulation by Fhit Loss
- 1998-2000 Basil O'Connor Scholar of the March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation
- 1998-2000 Beckman Young Investigator of the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation
- 1998-2001 Burroughs Wellcome Fund New Investigator in the Basic Pharmacological Sciences
- 2007 William E.M. Lands Lecturer in Nutritional Biochemistry, University of Michigan
- 2007-present National Institute of General Medical Sciences, GM081665, Quantitative Analysis of RING E3 Ubiquitin Ligases
- 2008-2011 National Science Foundation, MCB-0822581, New Steps in NAD+ Metabolism
- 2008-2009 Lung Cancer Research Foundation Award
- 2010- present Roy J. Carver Chair of Biochemistry
- 2012 Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center Oberley Award
- 2013 Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2013-2014 National Science Foundation, MCB-1322118, EAGER: Discovery of an Extracellular Mediator of Glucose Restriction in Yeast
- 2014 State of Iowa Regents Award for Faculty Excellence
- 2014-present National Science Foundation, CHE-1404147, Chemistry of Mitochondrial Protein Acetylation: Evolution of Substrate Reactivity as a Regulatory Mechanism
- 2014-present National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, AA022371 Role of Mitochondrial Protein Acetylation in the Liver Pathology of Alcohol
- 2015 Ackerson Student Lecturer in Biochemistry & Redox Biology, University of Nebraska
- 2015 Keynote Lecturer at the Brown University Pathobiology Retreat
- 2016 ASBMB Award for Exemplary Contributions to Education
- 2016 CNIO Distinguished Lecturer, Madrid
- 2018 Dartmouth Technology Transfer Innovation and Commercialization Award
- 1998 Organizer of Wesleyan University Alumni Symposium on Biology and the New Pharmacopaeia
- 2004-2007 F04B, Biophysical and Biochemical Sciences Fellowship Study Section, National Institutes of Health
- 2004 Structural Biology Program, Department of Energy
- 2005-2007 Beckman Young Investigator Review Committee, Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation
- 2008 American Federation for Aging Research National Scientific Advisory Council
- 2008-present ICP1, International Cooperative Projects Study Section, National Institutes of Health
- 2009-2012 ASBMB Publications Committee (chair, 2011-2012)
- 2012-present ASBMB representative to AAMC Council of Academic Societies
- 2014-present Scientific Advisory Board, ChromaDex, Inc
- 2016-2017 Co-founder and Chief Scientific Advisor, Prohealthspan, LLC
- 2017-present Chief Scientific Adviser, ChromaDex, Inc
- 2017-present Scientific Advisory Board, Cytokinetics, Inc
- 1983-1985 Research Associate for Anthony J. Brake
Chiron Corporation, Emeryville, CA
- 1986-1988 Research Associate for Kunihiro Matsumoto
DNAX Research Institute, Palo Alto, CA
- 1996-2000 Assistant Professor of Microbiology & Immunology
Jefferson Medical College
Member, Program in Structural Biology, Kimmel Cancer Center
- 2000-2003 Associate Professor of Microbiology & Immunology
Jefferson Medical College
Director, Structural Biology & Bioinformatics Program, Kimmel Cancer Center
Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
- 2003-2007 Associate Professor of Genetics and of Biochemistry
Dartmouth Medical School
- 2003-2008 Director, Cancer Mechanisms Program
Norris Cotton Cancer Center
- 2005-2009 Scientific Director
Comprehensive Thoracic Oncology Program
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
- 2007-2009 Professor of Genetics and of Biochemistry
Dartmouth Medical School
- 2008-2009 Associate Director for Basic Sciences
Norris Cotton Cancer Center, Lebanon, NH
- 2009-present Professor and DEO of Biochemistry
Carver College of Medicine
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 2010-present Professor of Internal Medicine and Roy J. Carver Chair in Biochemistry
Carver College of Medicine
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 2011-present Founding Co-Director, Obesity Research and Education Initiative
Office of the Provost
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 1997-2003 Yeast Transformation section of BI532
- 1997-2003 X-ray Crystallography section of PR613 including the Difference Patterson Function
- 1999-2003 Yeast Genetics section of GE611
- 1999-2003 Yeast Cell Cycle and Cell Cycle Checkpoints section of GE636
- 2004-2009 NAD+ Metabolism section of the MCB Core Course
- 2005-2008 Genetics 144, Oncogenomics
- 2005-2007 Yeast Genetics section of the MCB Core Course
- 2010-Present Carbohydrate Metabolism Section of BIOC:3120
- Faculty Member, Section on Chemical Biology of the Cell, Faculty of 1000
- Editor, with David Duggan, Oncogenomics: Molecular Approaches to Cancer, John Wiley & Sons, 2004
- Chair, Editorial Advisory Board, ASBMB Today
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Chemical Society
- Association of Medical & Graduate Departments of Biochemistry
- A. Brake, C. Brenner, R. Najarian, P. Laybourn & J. Merryweather, "Structure of Genes Encoding Precursors of the Yeast Peptide Mating Pheromone a-Factor" in Protein Transport and Secretion, M. J. Gething, ed., pp. 103-108 (1985). Download pdf reprint
- I. Miyajima, M. Nakafuku, N. Nakayama, C. Brenner, A. Miyajima, K. Kaibuchi, K. Arai, Y. Kaziro & K. Matsumoto, "GPA1, A Haploid-Specific Essential Gene, Encodes a Yeast Homolog of Mammalian G Protein Which May Be Involved in Mating Factor Signal Transduction," Cell, v. 50, pp. 1011-1019 (1987). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, N. Nakayama, M. Goebl, K. Tanaka, A. Toh-e & K. Matsumoto, "CDC33 Encodes mRNA Cap-Binding Protein eIF-4E of Saccharomyces cerevisiae," Mol Cell Biol, v. 8, pp. 3556-3559 (1988). Download pdf reprint
- K. Matsumoto, M. Nakafuku, N. Nakayama, I. Miyajima, K. Kaibuchi, A. Miyajima, C. Brenner, K. Arai & Y. Kaziro, "The Role of G Proteins in Yeast Signal Transduction," Cold Spring Harbor Symp Quant Biol, v. 53, pp. 567-575 (1988). Download pdf reprint
- R.S. Fuller, C. Brenner, P. Gluschankof & C.A. Wilcox, "The Yeast Prohormone-Processing Kex2 Protease, an Enzyme with Specificity for Paired Basic Residues," in Methods in Protein Sequence Analysis, Jornvall, H., Hoog, J.-O. & Gustavsson, A.-M., pp. 205-214 (1991). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner & R.S. Fuller, "Structural and Enzymatic Characterization of a Purified Prohormone-Processing Enzyme: Secreted, Soluble Kex2 Protease," Proc Natl Acad Sci, v. 89, pp. 922-926 (1992). Download pdf reprint
- H. Angliker, P. Wikstrom, E. Shaw, C. Brenner & R.S. Fuller, "The Synthesis of Inhibitors of Processing Proteases and Their Action on the Kex2 Protease of Yeast," Biochem J, v. 293, pp. 75-81 (1993). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, A. Bevan & R.S. Fuller, "One-Step Site-Directed Mutagenesis of The Kex2 Protease Oxyanion Hole,"Current Biology, v. 3, pp. 498-506 (1993). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, A. Bevan & R. S. Fuller, "Methods for Analyzing the Specificity and Activity of a Prohormone-Processing Enzyme, the Yeast Kex2 Protease (Kexin)," Meth Enz, v. 244, pp. 152-167 (1994). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, "Reducing the Energy Barrier to Crystallization, review of Crystallization of Nucleic Acids and Proteins,"Protein Science, v. 3, pp. 2471-2472 (1994). Download pdf reprint
- H. Diefenbach-Jagger, C. Brenner, B.E. Kemp, W. Baron, J. McLean, T.J. Martin & J.M. Moseley, "Arg21 is the Preferred Kexin Cleavage Site in Parathyroid-Hormone-Related Protein," Eur J Biochem, v. 229, pp. 91-98 (1995). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, P. Garrison, J. Gilmour, D. Peisach, D. Ringe, G.A. Petsko & J.M. Lowenstein, "Crystal Structures of Hint Demonstrate that Histidine Triad Proteins are GalT-related Nucleotide-Binding Proteins," Nature Structural Biology, v. 4, pp. 231-238 (1997). View Hint-GMP, Hint-Adenosine, Hint-8-Br-AMP, Apo-Hint entries at the Protein Data Bank. Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, H.C. Pace, P.N. Garrison, A.K. Robinson, A. Rosler, X.H. Liu, G.M. Blackburn, C.M. Croce, K. Huebner & L.D. Barnes, "Purification and Crystallization of Complexes Modeling the Active State of the Fragile Histidine Triad Protein," Protein Engineering, v. 10, pp. 1461-1463 (1997). Download pdf reprint
- G.M. Blackburn, X. Liu, A. Rosler & C. Brenner, "Two Hydrolase Resistant Analogues of Diadenosine 5',5'''-P1,P3-triphosphate for Studies with Fhit, the Human Fragile Histidine Triad Protein," Nucleosides and Nucleotides, v. 17, pp. 301-308 (1998). Download pdf reprint
- H.C. Pace, P.N. Garrison, A.K. Robinson, L.D. Barnes, A. Draganescu, A. Rosler, G.M. Blackburn, Z. Siprashvili, C.M. Croce, K. Huebner & C. Brenner, "Genetic, Biochemical and Crystallographic Characterization of Fhit-Substrate Complexes as the Active Signaling Form of Fhit," Proc Natl Acad Sci, v. 95, pp. 5484-5489 (1998). View Fhit-IB2, Fhit H96N-IB2 entries at the Protein Data Bank. Download pdf reprint
- Y. Pekarsky, M. Campiglio, Z. Siprashvili, T. Druck, Y. Sedkov, S. Tillib, A. Draganescu, P. Wermuth, J.H. Rothman, K. Huebner, A.M. Buchberg, A. Mazo, C. Brenner & C.M. Croce, "Nitrilase and Fhit Homologs are Encoded as Fusion Proteins in Drosophila melanogaster and Caenorhabditis elegans," Proc Natl Acad Sci, v. 95, pp. 8744-8749 (1998). Download pdf reprint
- A. Bevan, C. Brenner & R.S. Fuller, "Quantitative Assessment of Enzyme Specificity in vivo: P2 Recognition by Kex2 Protease Defined in a Genetic System," Proc Natl Acad Sci, v. 95, pp. 10384-10389 (1998). Download pdf reprint
- X. Liu, C. Brenner, A. Guranowski, E. Starzynska & G.M. Blackburn, "New Tripodal, 'Supercharged Analogs' of Adenosine Nucleotides: Inhibitors for the Fhit Ap3A Hydrolase," Angew Chem Int Ed, v. 38, pp. 1244-1247 (1999). Download pdf reprint(set printer for A4 layout and/or "Shrink To Fit").
- C. Brenner, "Fhit-Substrate Complexes: A New Paradigm in Reversible Protein Phosphorylation," Proceedings of theXIVth International Conference on Phosphate Chemistry, Phosphorus, Sulfur and Silicon, v. 144-146, pp. 745-748 (1999). Download pdf reprint
- K. Huebner, G. Sozzi, C. Brenner, M.A. Pierotti & C.M. Croce, "Fhit Loss in Lung Cancer: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Implications," Advances in Oncology, v. 15, pp. 3-10 (1999). Download pdf huebner99(9.2 MB file).
- M.J. Fernandes, A.A. Finnegan, L.D. Siracusa, C. Brenner, N.N. Iscove & B. Calabretta, "Characterization of a Novel Receptor that Maps Near the Natural Killer Gene Complex: Demonstration of Carbohydrate Binding and Expression in Hematopoietic Cells," Cancer Research, v. 59, pp. 2709-2717 (1999). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, P. Bieganowski, H.C. Pace & K. Huebner, "The Histidine Triad Superfamily of Nucleotide-Binding Proteins," J Cellular Physiology, v. 181, pp. 179-187 (1999). Download pdf reprint. Please see ref. 38 for the most current review on HIT proteins.
- A. Draganescu, S.C. Hodawadekar, K.R. Gee & C. Brenner, "Fhit-Nucleotide Specificity Probed with Novel Fluorescent and Fluorogenic Substrates," J Biol Chem, v. 275, pp. 4555-4560 (2000). Download pdf reprint The reagents can be ordered from Molecular Probes, Inc.
- C. Brenner, "A Cultivated Taste for Yeast," Genome Biology, v. 1, pp. reviews103.1-103.4 (2000). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, "Fhitness and Cancer in the Mouse," Trends in Genetics, v. 16, p. 294 (2000). Download pdf reprint
- H.C. Pace, S.C. Hodawadekar, A. Draganescu, J. Huang, P. Bieganowski, Y. Pekarsky, C.M. Croce & C. Brenner, "Crystal Structure of the Worm NitFhit Rosetta Stone Protein Reveals a Nit Tetramer Binding Two Fhit Dimers," Current Biology, v. 10, pp. 607-617 (2000). View NitFhit at the Protein Data Bank. Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, "Condensing the RNA World," Trends in Biochemical Sciences, v. 25, p. 485 (2000). Download pdf reprint
- J.R. Boyne, H.M. Yosuf, P. Bieganowski, C. Brenner & C. Price, "Yeast Myosin Light Chain, Mlc1p, Interacts with Both IQGAP and Class II Myosin to Effect Cytokinesis," J Cell Science, v. 113, pp. 4533-4543 (2000). Download pdf reprint
- H.C. Pace & C. Brenner, "The Nitrilase Superfamily: Classification, Structure and Function," Genome Biology, v. 2, pp. reviews0001.1-0001.9 (2001). Download pdf reprint. See supplemental data file at Genome Biology.
- L. Daheron, T. Zenz, L.D. Siracusa, C. Brenner & B. Calabretta, " Molecular Cloning of Ian4: a BCR/ABL-Induced Gene that Encodes an Outer Membrane Mitochondrial Protein with GTP-Binding Activity, " Nucleic Acids Research, v. 29, pp. 1308-1316 (2001). Download pdf reprint
- A.G. McLennan, L.D. Barnes, G.M. Blackburn, C. Brenner, A. Guranowski, A.D. Miller, J.M. Rovira, P. Rotllan, B. Soria, J.A. Tanner & A. Sillero, "Recent Developments in the Study of the Intracellular Function of Diadenosine Polyphosphates," Drug Development Research, v. 52, pp. 249-259 (2001). Download pdf reprint
- J.M. Varnum, J. Baraniak, R. Kaczmarek, W.J. Stec & C. Brenner, "Di-, Tri- and Tetra-5-O-Phosphorothioadenosyl Substituted Polyols as Inhibitors of Fhit: Importance of the Alpha-Beta Bridging Oxygen and Beta Phosphorus Replacement, " BMC Chemical Biology, v. 1, 3 (2001). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, "FHIT" in the Wiley Encyclopedia of Molecular Medicine, v. 2, Thomas E. Creighton, Ed., pp. 1274-1275 (2001). Download pdf reprint
- D.H. Klaubert, K.R. Gee & C.M. Brenner, "Phosphate-Bound Polyazaindacene Derivatives of Nucleotides," US Patent 6,323,186, issued November 27, 2001. Download pdfreprint
- S.K. Milano, H.C. Pace, Y.-M. Kim, C. Brenner & J. Benovic, "Scaffolding Functions of Arrestin-2 Revealed by Crystal Structure and Mutagenesis," Biochemistry, v. 41, pp. 3321-3328 (2002). View Arrestin-2 at the Protein Data Bank. Download pdf reprint
- P. Bieganowski, P.N. Garrison, S.C. Hodawadekar, G. Faye, L.D. Barnes & C. Brenner, "Adenosine Monophosphoramidase Activity of Hint and Hnt1 Supports Function of Kin28, Ccl1 and Tfb3, " J Biol Chem, v. 277, pp. 10852-10860 (2002). Download pdf reprint
- M. Rubio-Texeira, J.M. Varnum, P. Bieganowski & C. Brenner, "Control of Dinucleoside Polyphosphates by the FHIT-Homologous HNT2 Gene, Adenine Biosynthesis, and Heat Shock in Saccharomyces cerevisiae," BMC Molecular Biology, v. 3, 7 (2002). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, "Hint, Fhit and GalT: Function, Structure, Evolution and Mechanism of Three Branches of the Histidine Triad Superfamily of Nucleotide Hydrolases and Transferases," Biochemistry, v. 41, pp. 9003-9014 (2002). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, "Catalysis in the Nitrilase Superfamily," Current Opinion in Structural Biology, v. 6, pp. 775-782 (2002). Download pdf reprint
- A. Owczarek, R. Kaczmarek, B. Mikolajczyk, E. Wasilewska, D. Korczynski, J. Baraniak, M. Koziolkiewicz, W.J. Stec WJ & C. Brenner, "Stereochemical analysis of diastereomeric 1,3-bis(adenosine-5'-O-phosphorothioyl)glycerols,"Nucleosides, Nucleotides and Nucleic Acids, v. 22, pp. 797-9 (2003).
- F. Trapasso, A. Krakowiak, R. Cesari, J. Arkles, S. Yendamuri, H. Ishii, A. Vecchione, T. Kuroki, P. Bieganowski, H.C. Pace, K. Huebner, C.M. Croce & C. Brenner, "Designed FHIT Alleles Establish that Fhit-Induced Apoptosis in Cancer Cells is Limited by Substrate-Binding," Proc Natl Acad Sci, v. 100, pp. 1592-1597 (2003). Download pdf reprint
- H.C. Pace & C. Brenner, "Feminizing Chicks: A Model for Avian Sex Determination Based on Titration of Hint Enzyme Activity and the Predicted Structure of an Asw-Hint Heterodimer," Genome Biology, v. 4, R18 (2003). Download pdf reprint
- P. Bieganowski, H.C. Pace & C. Brenner, "Eukaryotic NAD+ Synthetase Qns1 Contains an Essential, Obligate Intramolecular Thiol Glutamine Amidotransferase Domain Related to Nitrilase," J Biol Chem, v. 278, pp. 33049-33055 (2003). Download pdf reprint
- P. Bieganowski & C. Brenner, "The Reported Human NADsyn2 is Ammonia-Dependent NAD+ synthetase from a Pseudomonad," J Biol Chem, v. 278, pp. 33056-33059 (2003). Download pdfreprint
- C. Brenner, "Subtleties Among Subtilases: Structural Biology of Kex2 and Furin-Related Prohormone Convertases,"EMBO Reports, v. 4, pp. 937-938 (2003). Download pdf reprint
- D.A. Kwasnicka, A. Krakowiak, C. Thacker, C. Brenner & S.R. Vincent, " Coordinate Expression of NADPH-Dependent Flavin Reductase, FRE-1, and Hint-Related 7meGMP-Directed Hydrolase, DCS-1," J Biol Chem, v. 278, pp. 39051-39058 (2003). Download pdf reprint
- A. Krakowiak, H.C. Pace, G. Michael Blackburn, M. Adams, A. Mekhalfia, R. Kaczmarek, J. Baraniak, W.J. Stec & C. Brenner, "Biochemical, Crystallographic and Mutagenic Characterization of Hint, the AMP-Lysine Hydrolase, with Novel Substrates and Inhibitors," J Biol Chem, v. 279, pp. 18711-18716 (2004). View Hint-N-ethylsulfamoyl adenosine at the Protein Data Bank. Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, "Precariously on the Cusp of Oncogenomics," chapter 1 of Oncogenomics: Molecular Approaches to Cancer, C. Brenner and D. Duggan, Eds., John Wiley & Sons, (2004). View the Oncogenomics poster the site at Wiley, or Amazon. Download pdf book review in the New England Journal of MedicineNEJMreview.pdf
- T.M. Maiolatesi & C. Brenner, "Chemical and Genetic Methods to Validate Targets in Non-Mammalian Organisms," chapter 10 of Oncogenomics: Molecular Approaches to Cancer, C. Brenner and D. Duggan, Eds., John Wiley & Sons, (2004). View the Oncogenomics poster, the site at Wiley, or Amazon. Download pdf book review in the New England Journal of Medicine.
- P. Bieganowski & C. Brenner, "Discoveries of Nicotinamide Riboside as a Nutrient and Conserved NRK Genes Establish a Preiss-Handler Independent Route to NAD+ in Fungi and Humans," Cell, v. 117, pp. 495-502 (2004). Download pdf reprint
- P. Bieganowski, K. Shilinski, P.N. Tsichlis & C. Brenner, "Cdc123 and Checkpoint Forkhead Associated With RING Proteins Control the Cell Cycle By Controlling eIF2gamma Abundance, " J Biol Chem, v. 279, pp. 44656-44666 (2004). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, "Chemical Genomics in Yeast," Genome Biology, v. 5, 240 (2004). Download pdf reprint
- P.M. Clements, C. Breslin, E.D. Deeks, P.J. Byrd, L. Ju, P. Bieganowski, C. Brenner, M.-C. Moreira, A.M.R. Taylor & K.W. Caldecott, "The ataxia-oculomotor apraxia 1 gene product has a role distinct from ATM and interacts with the DNA strand break repair proteins XRCC1 and XRCC4," DNA Repair, v. 3, pp. 1493-1502 (2004). Download pdf reprint
- K.P. Parks, H. Seidle, N. Wright, J.B. Sperry, P. Bieganowski, K. Howitz, D.L. Wright & C. Brenner, "Altered Specifity of Hint-W123Q Supports a Role for Hint Inhibition by Asw in Avian Sex Determination," Physiological Genomics, v. 20, pp. 12-14 (2004). Download pdf reprint and supplemental data
- T.-F. Chou, P. Bieganowski, K. Shilinski, J. Cheng, C. Brenner & C.R. Wagner, "31P NMR and Genetic Analysis Establish hinT as the only E. coli Purine Nucleoside Phosphoramidase and as Essential for Growth Under High Salt Conditions," J Biol Chem, v. 280, pp. 15356-15361 (2005). Download pdf chou05.pdfreprint and supplemental data
- H.F. Seidle, P. Bieganowski & C. Brenner, "Disease-Associated Mutations Inactivate AMP-Lysine Hydrolase Activity of Aprataxin," J Biol Chem, v. 280, pp. 20927-20931 (2005). View or download JBC Paper of the Week Summary. Download pdfseidle05.pdfreprint and supplemental data
- C. Brenner, "Evolution of NAD Biosynthetic Enzymes," Structure, v. 13, pp. 1239-1240 (2005). Download pdf reprint
- K.L. Bogan & C. Brenner, "Fhit," AfCS-Nature Molecule Pages (2006), [doi:10.1038/mp.a000914.01].
- S.K. Milano, Y.-M. Kim, F.P. Stefano, J.L. Benovic & C. Brenner, "Nonvisual Arrestin Oligomerization and Cellular Localization are Regulated by Inositol Hexakisphosphate Binding," J Biol Chem, v. 281, pp. 9812-9823 (2006). View Arrestin-2-IP6 entry at the Protein Data Bank. Download pdf reprint and supplemental data
- J. Martin, F. Magnino, K. Schmidt, A.-C. Piguet, J.-S. Lee, D. Semela, M.V. St-Pierre, A. Ziemiecki, D. Cassio, D. Mochly-Rosen, C. Brenner, S.S. Thorgeirsson & J.-F. Dufour, "Hint2, a Mitochondrial Apoptotic Sensitizer Downregulated in Hepatocellular Carcinoma," Gastroenterology, v. 130, pp. 2179-2188 (2006). Download pdf reprint
- P. Bieganowski, H.F. Seidle, M. Wojcik & C. Brenner, "Synthetic Lethal and Biochemical Analyses of NAD and NADH Kinases in Saccharomyces cerevisiae Establish Separation of Cellular Functions," J Biol Chem, v. 281, pp. 22439-22445 (2006). Download pdf reprint
- A.B. Parsons, A. Lopez, I.E. Givoni, D.E. Williams, C.A. Gray, J. Porter, G. Chua, R. Sopko, R.L. Brost, C.-H. Ho, J. Wang, T. Ketela, C. Brenner, J.A. Brill, G.E. Fernandez, T.C. Lorenz, G.S. Payne, S. Ishihara, Y. Ohya, B. Andrews, T.R. Hughes, B.J. Frey, T.R. Graham, R.J. Andersen & C. Boone, "Exploring the Mode-of-Action of Bioactive Compounds by Chemical-Genetic Profiling in Yeast," Cell, v. 126, pp. 611-6255 (2006). Download pdf reprint. Examine supplementary data.
- M. Wojcik, H.F. Seidle, P. Bieganowski & C. Brenner, "Glutamine-Dependent NAD+ synthetase: How a Two-Domain, Three-Substrate Enzyme Avoids Waste," J Biol Chem, v. 281, pp. 33395-33402 (2006). Download pdf reprint
- P. Belenky, K.L. Bogan & C. Brenner, "NAD+ Metabolism in Health and Disease," Trends in Biochemical Sciences, v. 32, pp. 12-19 (2007). Download pdf reprint
- C.L. Linster, T.A. Gomez, K.C. Christensen, L.N. Adler, B.D. Young, C. Brenner & S.G. Clarke, "Arabidopis VTC2 Encodes GDP-L-Galactose Phosphorylase, the Last Unknown Enzyme in the Smirnoff-Wheeler Pathway to Ascorbic Acid in Plants," J Biol Chem, v. 282, pp. 18879-18885 (2007). Download pdf reprint. View or download JBC Paper of the Week Summary.
- P. Belenky, F.G. Racette, K.L. Bogan, J.M. McClure, J.S. Smith & C. Brenner, "Nicotinamide Riboside Promotes Sir2 Silencing and Extends Lifespan via Nrk and Urh1/Pnp1/Meu1 Pathways to NAD+," Cell, v. 129, pp. 473-484 (2007). Download pdf reprint and supplementary data. Read Leading Edge Preview in Cell, Research Highlights in Nature and Spotlight in ACS Chemical Biology.
- M.E. Robu, J.D. Larson, A. Nasevicius, S. Beiraghi, C. Brenner, S.A. Farber & S.C. Ekker, "p53 Activation by Knockdown Technologies," PLOS Genetics, v. 3, issue 5, e78 (2007). Download pdf reprint.
- C. Brenner, "Histidine Triad (HIT) Superfamily," Encyclopedia of Life Sciences, (2007), John Wiley & Sons, Ltd: Chichester.
- W. Tempel, W.M. Rabeh, K.L. Bogan, P. Belenky, M. Wojcik, H.F. Seidle, L. Nedyalkova, T. Yang, A.A. Sauve, H.-W. Park & C. Brenner, "Nicotinamide Riboside Kinase Structures Reveal New Pathways to NAD+," PLoS Biology, v. 5, issue 10, e263 (2007). View Nrk1-ADP, Nrk1-NR, Nrk1-AppNHp+NR, Nrk1-NMN, and Nrk1-tiazofurin entries at the Protein Data Bank. Download pdf reprint and supporting information.
- R.S. Fuller, R.A. Bambara, T. Baker, B. Funnell, E. Wahle, M. O'Donnell, D. Kaiser, K. Skarstad, B. Konforti, S. Maki, T. Katayama, K. Sekimizu, J.H. Weiner, R.W. Davis, L. Rowen, M.F. Goodman, J. Spudich, S. Pfeffer, C.C. Richardson, P. Polaczek, R. Calendar, R. Kolodner, J. Griffith, B. Stillman, P. Modrich, C. Brenner & C. Yanofsky, "A Tribute to Arthur Kornberg, 1918-2007," Nat Struct Mol Biol, v. 15, pp. 2-17 (2008). Download pdf reprint
- G.L. Loring, K.C. Christensen, S.A. Gerber & C. Brenner, "Yeast Chfr Homologs Retard Cell Cycle at G1 and G2/M via Ubc4 and Ubc13/Mms2-Dependent Ubiquitination," Cell Cycle, v. 7, pp. 95-105 (2008). Download pdf reprint and supplementary data
- P.A. Belenky, T.G. Mogu & C. Brenner, "S. cerevisiae YOR071C Encodes the High Affinity Nicotinamide Riboside Transporter, Nrt1," J Biol Chem, v. 283, pp. 8075-8079 (2008). Download pdf reprint and supplementary data
- K.L. Bogan & C. Brenner, "Nicotinic Acid, Nicotinamide, and Nicotinamide Riboside: A Molecular Evaluation of NAD+ Precursor Vitamins in Human Nutrition," Ann Review Nutrition, v. 28, pp. 115-130 (2008). Download pdf reprint
- C.L. Linster, L.T. Adler, K. Webb, K.C. Christensen, C. Brenner & S.G. Clarke, "A Second GDP-L-Galactose Phosphorylase in Arabidopsis en Route to Vitamin C: Covalent Intermediate and Substrate Requirements for the Conserved Reaction," J Biol Chem, v. 283, pp. 18483-18492 (2008). Download pdf reprint
- L. Brooks,III, E.G. Heimsath, Jr., G.L. Loring & C. Brenner, "FHA-RING Ubiquitin Ligases in Cell Division Cycle Control," Cell Mol Life Sci, v. 65, cover and pp. 3458-3466 (2008). Download pdf reprint
- P. Belenky, K.C. Christensen, F. Gazzaniga, A.A. Pletnev & C. Brenner, "Nicotinamide Riboside and Nicotinic Acid Riboside Salvage in Fungi and Mammals: Quantitative Basis for Urh1 and Purine Nucleoside Phosphorylase Function in NAD+ Metabolism," J Biol Chem, v. 284, pp. 158-164 (2009). Download pdf reprint
- P. Bieganowski & C. Brenner, "Nicotinamide Riboside Kinase Compositions and Methods for Using the Same,"Australian Patent 2005211773, issued June 1, 2009.
- F. Gazzaniga, R. Stebbins, S. Z. Chang, M.A. McPeek & C.Brenner, "Microbial NAD Metabolism: Lessons from Comparative Genomics, "Microbiol Mol Biol Rev, v. 73, pp. 529-541 (2009). Download pdf reprint
- K.L. Bogan, C. Evans, P. Belenky, P. Song, C.F. Burant, R.T. Kennedy & C. Brenner, " Identification of Isn1 and Sdt1 as Glucose and Vitamin-regulated NMN and NaMN 5'-nucleotidases Responsible for Production of Nicotinamide Riboside and Nicotinic Acid Riboside," J Biol Chem, v. 284, pp. 34861-34869 (2009). Download pdf reprint and supplementary data
- C. Evans, K.L. Bogan, P. Song, C.F. Burant, R.T. Kennedy & C. Brenner, "NAD+ Metabolite Levels as a Function of Vitamins and Calorie Restriction: Evidence for Different Mechanisms of Longevity," BMC Chem Biol, v. 10, 2 (2010). Download pdf reprint and supplementary data
- K.L. Bogan & C. Brenner, "5'-Nucleotidases and their New Roles in NAD+ and Phosphate Metabolism," New Journal of Chemistry, v. 34, pp. 845-853 (2010). Download pdf reprint
- F. Syeda, R.L. Fagan, M. Wean, G.V. Awakumov, J.R. Walker, S. Xue, S. Dhe-Paganon & C. Brenner, "The RFTS Domain is a DNA-Competitive Ingibitor of Dnmt1," JBC, v. 286, pp. 15344-15351 ( 2011). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner. "On the Nonspecific Degradation of NAD+ to Nicotinamide Riboside," JBC, v. 286, p. le5 (2011). Download pdf reprint
- P. Belenky, R. Stebbins, K.L. Bogan, C.R. Evans & C. Brenner, "Nrt1 and Tna1-Independent Export of NAD+ Precursor Vitamins Promotes NAD+ Homeostasis and Allows Engineering of Vitamin Production," PLoS ONE, v. 6, p. e19710 (2011). Download pdf reprint
- J. Boylston & C. Brenner, "FHIT," Encyclopedia of Signaling Molecules, S. Choi, ed, chapter 68, part 7, pp. 613-616 (2012). DOI: 10.1007/978-1-4419-0461-4_68. Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, P. Belenky & K.L. Bogan, "Yeast Strain and Method for Using the Same to Produce Nicotinamide Riboside," US Patent 8,114,626, issued February 14, 2012. Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner & D. Ringe, "Response to the New MCAT: ASBMB Premedical Curriculum," ASBMB Today, v. 11, pp. 12-14 (2012). Download pdf reprint
- R.R. Midtkandal, P. Redpath, S.A.J. Trammell, S.J.F. Macdonald, C. Brenner & M.E. Migaud, "Novel synthetic route to the C-nucleoside, 2-deoxy benzamide riboside," Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters v. 22, pp. 5204-7 (2012). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, "Nicotinamide riboside kinase compositions and methods for using the same," US Patent 8,197,807, issued June 12, 2012. Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, "Changes in Chemistry and Biochemistry Education: Creative Responses to MCAT Revisions in the Age of the Genome," Biochem and Mol Biol Education, v. 41, pp. 1-4 (2013). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, "Nicotinamide riboside kinase compositions and methods for using the same," US Patent 8,383,086, issued February 26, 2013. Download pdf reprint
- K.L. Bogan & C. Brenner, "Biochemistry: Niacin/NAD(P)," Encyclopedia of Biological Chemistry, W.J. Lennarz & M.D. Lane, eds., v. 3, pp.172-178, (2013), Waltham, MA: Academic Press. Download pdf reprint
- S.A.J. Trammell & C. Brenner, "Targeted, LCMC-Based Metabolomics for Quantitative Measurement of NAD+ Metabolites," Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal, v. 4, e201301012 (2013). DOI: 10.5936/csbj.201301012. Download pdf reprint.
- C. Brenner, "Rethinking Premedical and Health Professional Curricula in Light of MCAT 2015," Journal of Chemical Education, v. 90, pp. 807-812 (2013). DOI:10.1021/ed4002738. Download pdf reprint
- R.L. Fagan, D.E. Cryderman, L. Kopelovich, L.L. Wallrath & C. Brenner, "Laccaic Acid A is a Direct, DNA-Competitive Inhibitor of DNA Methyltransferase 1," J Biol Chem, v.288, pp. 23858-23867 (2013). DOI: 10.1074/jbc.M113.480517. Download pdf reprint.
- C. Brenner, "Demystifying the Chalk Talk," ASBMB Today, v. 12, number 8, pp. 33-35 (2013). Download pdf reprint
- S. Ghanta, R.E. Grossmann & C. Brenner, "Mitochondrial protein acetylation as a cell-intrinsic, evolutionary driver of fat storage: chemical and metabolic logic of acetyl-lysine modifications" Critical Rev Biochem & Mol Biol, v. 48, pp. 561-574 (2013). Download pdf reprint.
- P.J. Kennelly, J.S. Bond, B.S. Masters, E.A. Dennis, C. Brenner & D.M. Raben, "Desperately Seeking Flexner: Time to Reemphasize Basic Science in Medical Education" Academic Medicine, v. 88, pp. 1405-1406 (2013). DOI: 10.1097/ACM.0b013e3182a225be. Download pdf reprint
- R.L. Fagan, M. Wu, F. Chédin & C. Brenner, "An Ultrasensitive High Throughput Screen for DNA Methyltransferase 1-targeted Molecular Probes" PLoS One, v. 11,e78752 (2013). Download pdf reprint.
- S-C. Mei & C. Brenner, “NAD as a Genotype-Specific Drug Target” Chemistry & Biology, v. 20, pp. 1307-1308 (2013). Download pdf reprint
- J. Huang, A. Stewart, B. Maity, J. Hagen, R.L. Fagan, J. Yang, D.E. Quelle, C. Brenner & R.A. Fisher, "RGS6 Suppresses Ras-inducded Cellular Transformation by Facilitating Tip60-mediated Dnmt1 Degradation and Promoting Apoptosis,"Oncogene, v. 33, pp. 3604-11 (2014). DOI:10.1038/onc.2013.324. Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, “Understanding Faculty Salaries,” ASBMB Today, v. 13, number 1, pp. 28-29 (2014). Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, “Metabolism: Targeting a fat-accumulation gene” Nature, v. 508, pp. 194-195 (2014). DOI: 10.1038/508194a. Download pdf reprint.
- C. Brenner, "Histidine Triad Superfamily" Encyclopedia of Life Sciences, John Wiley & Sons Ltd: Chichester (2014). DOI: 10.1002/9780470015902.a0020545.pub2.
- J.A. Boylston & C. Brenner, "A Knockdown with Smoke Model Reveals Fhit as a Repressor of Heme Oxygenase 1," Cell Cycle, v. 13, pp. 2913-30 (2014). DOI:10.4161/15384101.2014.946858. Download pdf reprint
- B.-K. Wu, S.-C. Mei & C. Brenner, "RFTS-deleted DNMT1 enhances tumorigenicity with focal hypermethylation and global hypomethylation," Cell Cycle, v. 13, pp. 3222-3231 (2014). DOI:10.4161/15384101.2014.950886. Download pdf reprint
- S.-C. Mei & C. Brenner, "Quantification of Protein Copy Number in Yeast: the NAD+ Metabolome," PLoS One v. 9, e106496 (2014). DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0106496. Download pdf reprint
- B.-K. Wu & C. Brenner, “Suppression of TET1-Dependent DNA Demethylation is Essential for KRAS-Mediated Transformation,” Cell Reports, v. 9, pp. 1827-1840 (2014). DOI:10.1016/j.celrep.2014.10.063. Download pdf reprint
- C. Brenner, “Boosting NAD to Spare Hearing,” Cell Metabolism, v. 21, pp.926-927 (2014). DOI: 10.1016/j.cmet.2014.11.015. Download pdf reprint.
- S.-C. Mei & C. Brenner, "Calorie Restriction-Mediated Replicative Lifespan Extension in Yeast Is Non-Cell Autonomous," PLoS Biology, v. 13, e1002048 (2015). Download pdf reprint
- S.A.J. Trammell & C. Brenner, “NNMT: A Bad Actor in Fat Makes Good in Liver,” Cell Metabolism, v. 22, pp. 200-201 (2015). DOI:10.1016/j.cmet.2015.07.017. Download pdf reprint
- S.A.J. Trammell, L. Yu, P. Redpath, M.E. Migaud & C. Brenner, "Nicotinamide Riboside Is a Major NAD+ Precursor Vitamin in Cow Milk," The Journal of Nutrition, v. 146, pp. 957-963 (2016). DOI: 10.3945/jn.116.230078. Download pdf reprint
- S.A.J. Trammell, B.J.Weidemann, A.Chadda, M.S. Yorek, A. Holmes, L.J.Coppey, A. Obrosov, R.H. Kardon, M.A. Yorek & C. Brenner, “Nicotinamide Riboside Opposes Type 2 Diabetes and Neuropathy in Mice,” Scientific Reports, v. 6, 26933 (2016). DOI: 10.1038/srep26933. Download pdf reprint
- S.A.J Trammell, M.S. Schmidt, B.J. Weidemann, P. Redpath, F. Jaksch, R.W. Dellinger, Z. Li, E.D. Abel, M.E. Migaud & C. Brenner, "Nicotinamide riboside is uniquely and orally bioavailable in mice and humans." Nat Commun. v. 7, pp. 12948 (2016). DOI: 10.1038/ncomms12948. Download pdf reprint
- J. Ratajczak, M. Joffraud, S.A.J. Trammell, R. Ras, N. Canela, M. Boutant, S.S. Kulkarni, M. Rodrigues, P. Redpath, M.E. Migaud, J. Auwerx, O. Yanes, C. Brenner & C. Canto, "NRK1 controls nicotinamide mononucleotide and nicotinamide riboside metabolism in mammalian cells." Nat Commun. v. 7, pp. 13103 (2016). DOI: 10.1038/ncomms13103. Download pdf reprint.
- J.L. Wilsbacher, M. Cheng, D. Cheng, S.A.J. Trammell, Y. Shi, J. Guo, S.L. Koeniger, P.J. Kovar, Y. He, S. Jagadeeswaran, H.R. Heyman, B.K. Sorensen, R.F. Clark, T.M. Hansen, K.L. Longenecker, D. Raich, A.V. Korepanova, D.L. Towne, V.C. Abraham, H. Tang, S.M. McLoughlin, M.L. Curtin, M.R. Michaelides, D. Maag, F.G. Buchanan, W. Gao, S.H. Rosenberg, C. Brenner & C. Tse, “Discovery and Characterization of Novel, Orally Bioavailable Non-substrate and Substrate NAMPT Inhibitors,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, v. 16, pp. 1236-1245 (2017). DOI:10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-16-0819. Download PDF reprint.
- M.V. Hamity, S.R. White, R.Y. Walder, M.S. Schmidt, C. Brenner & D.L. Hammond, “Nicotinamide Riboside, a Form of Vitamin B3 and NAD+ Precursor, Relieves the Nociceptive and Aversive Dimensions of Paclitaxel-induced Peripheral Neuropathy in Female Rats,” Pain, v. 158, pp. 962–972 (2017). DOI:10.1097/j.pain.0000000000000862. Download PDF reprint.
- R. Fletcher, J. Ratajczak, C.L. Doig, L.A. Oakey, R.Callingham, G. da Silva Xavier, A. Garten, Y.S. Elhassan, P. Redpath, M.E. Migaud, A. Philp, C. Brenner, C. Canto & G.G. Lavery, “Nicotinamide Riboside Kinases Display Redundancy in Mediating Nicotinamide Mononucleotide and Nicotinamide Riboside Metabolism in Skeletal Muscle Cells," Molecular Metabolism, v. 6 (2017). DOI: 10.1016/j.molmet.2017.05.011. Download PDF reprint.
- P. Vaur, B. Brugg, M. Mericskay, Z. Li, M.S. Schmidt, D. Vivien, C. Orset, E. Jacotot, C. Brenner & E. Duplus, “Nicotinamide riboside, a form of vitamin B3, protects against excitotoxicity-induced axonal degeneration,” FASEB Journal (2017). DOI: 10.1096/fj.201700221RR. Download PDF reprint.
- S.Thakur & C. Brenner, “KRAS-driven miR-29b Expression is Required for Tumor Suppressor Gene Silencing,” Oncotarget, v.8(43), pp. 74755-74766 (2017). DOI: 10.18632/oncotarget.20364. Download PDF reprint.
- S. Sato, G. Solanas, F.O. Peixoto, L. Bee, A. Symeonidi, M.S. Schmidt, C. Brenner, S. Masri, S.A. Benitah & P. Sassone-Corsi, “Circadian Reprogramming Identifies Metabolic Pathways of Aging,” Cell, v. 170(4), pp. 664-677 (2017). DOI: 10.1016/j.cell.2017.07.042. Download PDF reprint.
- N. Diguet, S.A.J. Trammell, C. Tannous, R. Deloux, J. Piquereau, N. Mougenot, A. Gouge, M. Gressette, B. Manoury, J. Blanc, M. Breton, J.F. Decaux, G. Lavery, I. Baczkó, J. Zoll, A. Garnier, Z. Li, C. Brenner & M. Mericskay, "Nicotinamide Riboside Preserves Cardiac Function in a Mouse Model of Dilated Cardiomyopathy," Circulation, v. 137(21), pp. 2256-2273 (2018). DOI: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.116.026099. Download PDF reprint. Read accompanying commentary.
- D. Fangmann, E.M. Theismann, K. Türk, D.M. Schulte, I. Relling, K. Hartmann, J.K. Keppler, J.R. Knipp, A. Rehman, F.A. Heinsen, A. Franke, L. Lenk, S. Freitag-Wolf, E. Appel, S. Gorb, C. Brenner, D. Seegert, G.H. Waetzig, P. Rosenstiel, S. Schreiber, K. Schwarz & M. Laudes, "Targeted Microbiome Intervention by Microencapsulated Delayed-Release Niacin Beneficially Affects Insulin Sensitivity in Humans," Diabetes Care, v. 41(3), pp. 398-405 (2018). DOI: 10.2337/dc17-1967. Download PDF reprint.
- D.S. Matasic, C. Brenner & B. London, "Emerging Potential Benefits of Modulating NAD+ Metabolism in Cardiovascular Disease," Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, v. 314(4), pp. H839-H852 (2018). DOI: 10.1152/ajpheart.00409.2017. Download PDF reprint.
- O.L. Dollerup, B.Christensen, M. Svart, M.S. Schmidt, K. Sulek, S. Ringgaard, H. Stødkilde-Jørgensen, N. Møller, C. Brenner, J.T. Treebak &N. Jessen, "A randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial of nicotinamide riboside in obese men: safety, insulin-sensitivity, and lipid-mobilizing effects," Am J Clin Nutr., v.108(2), pp. 343-353 (2018). DOI: 10.1093/ajcn/nqy132. Download PDF reprint.
- S.J. Mitchell, M. Bernier, M.A. Aon, S. Cortassa, E.Y. Kim, E.F. Fang, H.H. Palacios, Ali A1, I. Navas-Enamorado, A. Di Francesco, T.A. Kaiser, T.B. Waltz, N. Zhang, J.L. Ellis, P.J. Elliott, D.W. Frederick, V.A. Bohr, M. S. Schmidt, C. Brenner, D.A. Sinclair, A. A. Sauve, J.A. Baur & R. de Cabo, "Nicotinamide Improves Aspects of Healthspan, but Not Lifespan, in Mice," Cell Metab. 27(3):667-676.e4 (2018). DOI: 10.1016/j.cmet.2018.02.001. Download PDF reprint.
- H.W. Liu, C.B. Smith, M.S. Schmidt, X.A. Cambronne, M.S. Cohen, M.E. Migaud, C. Brenner & R.H. Goodman, "Pharmacological bypass of NAD+ salvage pathway protects neurons from chemotherapy-induced degeneration," Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. v.115 (42), pp.10654-10659 (2018). DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1809392115. Download PDF reprint
- C. Brenner & A.C. Boileau, "Pterostilbene Raises Low Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol in People," Clinical Nutrition. v.38(1), pp.480-481 (2019), DOI:10.1016/j.clnu.2018.10.007. Download PDFreprint.
- P. H. Ear, A. Chadda, S. B. Gumusoglu, M. S. Schmidt, S. Vogeler, J. Malicoat, J. Kadel, M. M. Moore, M. E. Migaud, H. E. Stevens & C. Brenner, "Maternal Nicotinamide Riboside Enhances Postpartum Weight Loss, Juvenile Offspring Development, and Neurogenesis of Adult Offspring," Cell Reports. v. 26 (4), pp. 969-983 (2019). DOI: 10.1016/j.celrep.2019.01.007. Download PDFreprint.
- W. Shi, M.A. Hegeman, A. Doncheva, I. van der Stelt, M. Bekkenkamp-Grovenstein, E. M. van Schothorst, C.Brenner, V. C. J. de Boer & J. Keijer, "Transcriptional Response of White Adipose Tissue to Withdrawal of Vitamin B3," Mol Nutr Food Res., v. 2019. DOI: 10.1002/mnfr.201801100. Dowload PDFreprint
- A.J. Covarrubias, J. A. Lopez-Dominguez, R. Perrone, A. Kale, J. Newman, S. S. Iyer, M. S. Schmidt, H. G. Kasler, K.-O. Shin, Y.-M. Lee, I. Ben-Sahra, M. Ott, C. Brenner, J.Campisi & E. Verdin, "Aging-related inflammation driven by cellular senescence enhances NAD consumption via activation of CD38+ macrophages," in press 2019. DOI: 10.1101/609438. Download PDF reprint
- D. Conze, C. Brenner, & C.L. Kruger, "Safety and Metabolism of Long-Term Administration of Niagen (Nicotinamide Riboside Chloride) in a Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-controlled Clinical Trial of Healthy Overweight Adults," Scientific Reports, v. 9, 9772, 2019. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-019-46120-z. Download PDF reprint
- M.S. Schmidt, & C. Brenner, "Absence of evidence that Slc12a8 Encodes a Nicotinamide Mononucleotide Transporter," Nature Metabolism, v. 1, pp. 660-661 (2019). DOI: 10.1038/s42255-019-0085-0. Download PDFreprint
- Y.S. Elhassan, K. Kluckova, R.S. Fletcher, M.S. Schmidt, A. Garten, C.L. Doig, D.M. Cartwright, L. Oakey, C.V. Burley, N Jenkinson, M. Wilson, S.J.E. Lucas, I. Akerman, A. Seabright, Y.C. Lai, D.A. Tennant, P. Nightingale, G.A. Wallis, K.N. Manolopoulos, C. Brenner, A. Philip, G.G. Lavery, "Nicotinamide Riboside Augments the Human Skeletal Muscle NAD Metabolome and Induces Transcriptomic ad Anti-inflammatory Signatures in Aged Subjects: a Placebo-controlled, Randomized Trial," Cell Reports, v. 28, 7 2019. DOI: 10.1016/j.celrep.2019.07.043. Download PDFreprint
- C. Brenner, "Why Is Mom Stressed: Homeorhesis as the Potential Problem and Nicotinamide Riboside as the Potential Solution," Journal of Experimental Neuroscience v. 13, pp. 1-3 (2019). DOI: 10.1177/1179069519869679. Download PDF reprint
- N.R. Fons, R.K. Sundaram, G.A. Breuer, S. Peng, R.L. McLean, A.N. Kalathil, M.S. Schmidt, D.M. Carvalho, A. Mackay, C. Jones, A.M. Carcaboso, J. Nazarian, M.E. Berens, C. Brenner, & R.S. Bindra., "PPM1D mutations silence NAPRT gene expression and confer NAMPT inhibitor sensitivity in glioma," Nature Communications, v. 10, 3790 (2019). DOI: 10.1038/s41467-019-11732-6. Download PDF reprint
Google Scholar all of Dr. Brenner's publications.